The world is facing a medical crisis, bacteria are increasingly evolving resistance to even our strongest antibiotics. The problem is already very real and immediate; for example, bloodstream infection leading to sepsis is now responsible for more than half of all deaths in hospitals and is the most expensive condition treated in hospitals. Sepsis mortality rate increases >6% every hour without effective antibiotic treatment. Yet, despite the life and death urgency, and healthcare cost impacts, current methodologies require 3 days to determine the correct antibiotic.
Specific Diagnostics has developed a breakthrough solution to rapidly determine the effective antibiotic treatment for bloodstream and other acute infections. Used for bloodstream infection Specific’s solution provides results 2 days sooner than existing methods, saving patients suffering from drug-resistant infection.
We have been funded by nearly $30 M in non-dilutive government sponsored research support and recently $17.5 M in venture capital. This is an opportunity to join us at an inflection point in our commercial growth as we bring our first key product to market and with recognition from major customers fueling an expansion of our staff.
This is the job for you if want to be where your ideas will be central to world-changing and lifesaving products. This is a critical job for our growing company and one that works in close partnership with our senior staff, manufacturing leaders, engineering and financial team. The key role is working with minimal direction, the buyer purchases raw materials, sub-assemblies, products and services in conformance with approved purchase orders at the lowest cost consistent with considerations for quality, reliability of source and urgency of need. The role provides support for all basic aspects of purchasing including but not limited to vendor negotiations, vendor analysis, cost reductions, utilization of the purchasing system, expedition of orders and vendor relations.
- Identify, evaluate, select, and integrate new suppliers and technologies.
- Perform analysis as required to improve operational efficiency in the supply chain processes.
- Manage supplier relationships and be the point of contact for escalation for supplier issues.
- Investigate and determine root cause for inventory and invoicing discrepancies.
- Interface with Engineers, Quality Assurance, Production, Warehouse personnel and other Buyers to ensure Production material is stocked as required.
- Ensure the continuous improvement of quality, service, and total cost in support of business needs.
- Negotiate pricing, Supplier agreements and other legal documents.
- Develops and maintains good ethical supplier relationships.
- Supports engineering with sample request, pricing or lead time on prototypes or new product development.
- Plans purchases and buys electromechanical and make to print commodities from MRP suggestions.
- Purchases MRO commodities off purchase requisitions.
- Maintains the integrity of MRP accuracy as it pertains to the commodity assigned.
- Flexible with the ability to work under and meet deadlines while handling a heavy workload.
- Demonstrate excellent written/oral communication, negotiation, and administrative skills.
- Work with limited supervision to effectively utilize time and project management skills.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Organized and self-motivated
- Microsoft Excel Skills
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Extensive ERP and MRP knowledge (Netsuite preferred)