Technical Project Manager
The world is facing a medical crisis, bacteria are increasingly evolving resistance to even our strongest antibiotics. The problem is already very real and immediate; for example, bloodstream infection leading to sepsis is now responsible for more than half of all deaths in hospitals and is the most expensive condition treated in hospitals. Sepsis mortality rate increases >6% every hour without effective antibiotic treatment. Yet, despite the life and death urgency, and healthcare cost impacts, current methodologies require 3 days to determine the correct antibiotic.
Specific Diagnostics has developed a breakthrough solution to rapidly determine the effective antibiotic treatment for bloodstream and other acute infections. Used for bloodstream infection Specific’s solution provides results 2 days sooner (1 day vs 3 days).
We have been funded by nearly $30 M in non-dilutive government-sponsored research support and recently $17.5 M in venture capital. This is an opportunity to join us at an inflection point in our commercial growth as we bring our first key product to market and with recognition from major customers fueling an expansion of our staff.
We are seeking to add a senior member to our strong team of chemists. This is a senior role; key responsibilities include: leading R&D of chemical sensor development, successful transfer from engineering to manufacturing, guiding scientists in their development and project management. This is not the job for a manager-only type, you will also be hands on contributing to our most challenging developments. It is critical to communicate and collaborate with colleagues in our microbiology and data science groups to assure the sensor is making the most of the biology and that the data produced is ready for analytical analysis. Designs must prove ready for high volume, high yield, low cost manufacturing, design for manufacturability and ability to work with manufacturing teams is a critical aspect of this job.
You are a former scientist or engineer that has transitioned into technical project manager. You will be interacting with scientist and engineers and will be responsible for keeping everyone accountable.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Own Gantt Chart for projects and update as needed
- Monitor project deliverables
- Update relevant stakeholders or team members on the project progress
- Support project team members with tasks assigned to them
- Holding regular technical team meetings to help address any questions or challenges regarding upcoming projects
- Identify weak points in the project
- Identify critical path to success and makes sure it is not at risk
- Identify potential risks, and establish project milestones
- 5+ years of experience of technical project management
- A master’s degree in the Chemistry or related science
- Strong time management skills
- Managerial experience
- A high level of analysis and problem-solving skills
Company location: San Jose, CA
Job Type: Full-time
Applicants must have U.S. employment authorization. The company will not sponsor applicants for U.S. work visas.